Mariëlle Feenstra is a senior researcher on gender just energy policy and an experienced policy advisor. Trained in public policy and public administration, she worked 15 years as a policy advisor for municipalities in the Netherlands specialized in European Affairs.
In her PhD research she continues her academic work on gender-aware energy policy, focusing on policy design and formulation in the policy process cycle. She uses a gender lens to analyse energy poverty mitigation policies and energy transition policy, taking a North-South perspective.
She wrote the first-ever thesis on gender-aware energy policy with case studies from Uganda and South Africa as a University Twente master student in 2002. For ENERGIA, she compiled the first-ever annotated bibliography on gender and energy in 2001. Together with her supervisor Prof. Joy Clancy, she has written two studies for the FEMM Committee of the European Parliament. Both studies are the first publications in the EU on gender and energy policy.
- Feenstra, M. and G. Özerol (2020) Energy justice as a search light for gender-energy nexus: towards a conceptual framework, in: Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 138: 110668 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2020.110668
- Feenstra, M., J.S. Clancy (2020) A view from the North: gender and energy poverty in the European Union, In: Engendering the Energy Transition, eds. Clancy et al, Palgrave Macmillan https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030435127
- Clancy, J.S., G. Özerol, N. Mohlakoana, M. Feenstra, L. Sol Cueva (2020) Engendering the Energy Transition: setting the scene, in: Engendering the Energy Transition, Clancy, J.S., G. Özerol, N. Mohlakoana, M. Feenstra, L. Sol Cueva (eds), Palgrave Macmillan https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030435127
- Lucie Middlemiss, Mariëlle Feenstra, Koen Straver, Peter Mulder, Marlies Hesselman, Sergio Tirado Herrero (2020) White Paper on Energy Poverty and Energy Transition in the Netherlands, TNO Research, https://www.tno.nl/en/about-tno/news/2020/11/energy-poverty-and-the-energy-transition/?utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&utm_campaign=reach-tno-systeemintegratie-2020
- Feenstra, M. (2020) Women as change agents of the Bulgarian energy transition, in: From Economic to Energy Transition: Three decades of transition in Central and Eastern Europe, eds. M. Misik and V. Oravcová, Palgrave Macmillan https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9783030550844
- Feenstra, M. (2020) Preface, in: Feminization of energy poverty in the city of Madrid, eds. C. Sánchez-Guevara et a., Universidad Politécnica de Madrid
- ENGAGER (2020) New narratives and actors for citizen-led energy poverty dialogues, eds. S. Tirado Herrero et al. http://www.engager-energy.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/WG3-Policy-Brief_Sept-2020.pdf
- ENGAGER (2020) Compendium: on existing and missing links between energy poverty and other scholarly debates, eds. A. Stojilovska et al. http://www.engager-energy.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/COST_ENGAGER_WG4_Case_Study_Linking_debates_3-April-2020.pdf
- ENGAGER (2020) Making the Most of Qualitative Evidence for Energy Poverty Mitigation: a research agenda and call for action, eds. L. Middlemiss et al. http://www.engager-energy.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/ENGAGER-Policy-Brief-No.-3-February-2020-Making-the-Most-of-Qualitative-Data-for-EP-Research-and-Action.pdf
- Feenstra, M. (2020) Women and the Environment (BPfa area K), in: Beijing +25: the fifth review of the implementation of the Beijing Platform for Action in the EU Member States, European Institute of Gender Equality, Vilnius, Lithuania https://eige.europa.eu/publications/beijing-25-fifth-review-implementation-beijing-platform-action-eu-member-states
- Clancy, J.S. and M.H. Feenstra (2019) Women, gender equality and the energy transition in the EU, Study for the FEMM Committee of the EU Parliament, PE 608.867, Brussels, EU https://www.europarl.europa.eu/thinktank/nl/document.html?reference=IPOL_STU%282019%29608867
- ENERGIA (2019) Gender in the transition to energy for all: from evidence to inclusive policies, synthesis report ENERGIA Research Programme, The Hague, The Netherlands https://www.energia.org/cm2/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Gender-in-the-transition-to-sustainable-energy-for-all_-From-evidence-to-inclusive-policies_FINAL.pdf
- Clancy, J., Daskalova, V., Feenstra, M., Franceschelli, N., Sanz, M. (2017). Gender perspective on access to energy in the EU. Study for the FEMM Committee of the EU Parliament. PE 596.816. Brussels. https://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/STUD/2017/596816/IPOL_STU(2017)596816_EN.pdf
- Clancy, J. and M. Feenstra (2010) Mainstreaming gender in energy policy, NORAD position paper, Oslo, Norway
- Clancy, J. and M. Feenstra (2006) How to engender energy policy, ENERGIA technical paper, Leusden, The Netherlands https://www.researchgate.net/publication/238664050_How_to_Engender_Energy_Policy
- Clancy, J. and M. Feenstra (2004) Gender and energy for sustainable development, UNDP toolkit, New York, United States
- Feenstra, M. (2002) Towards a gender-aware energy policy: a case study from South Africa and Uganda, Master thesis University Twente https://www.researchgate.net/publication/265003874_TOWARDS_A_GENDER-AWARE_ENERGY_POLICY_A_Case_Study_from_South_Africa_and_Uganda
- Feenstra, M. (2001) Annotated bibliography Gender & Energy, ENERGIA, Leusden, The Netherlands
- Feenstra, M. (2000) Implementation and rectification of CEDAW in East and South-East Asia, UN Research paper, Bangkok, Thailand